[Diy_efi] Ion Sensing project

William Shurvinton shurvinton at orange.net
Thu Jul 4 19:39:45 GMT 2002

I agree with Ville on this, in that that ION sensing is (in theory) ignition
agnostic. However, since you have to have a voltage generator at sround
400V, which just happens to be what CDI needs you can also use is to charge
a bank of capacitors for a CNP CDI system. By coupling the ignition and ION
sensing together you open up a number of interesting possibilities that can
keep the arc struck for a lot longer and get very good time control of when
the arc is extinguished.

So you can have 50Kv to bridge the spark gap, then 50A or so to ensure a
good fat flame kernel, hold it for 10°ish and turn it off just in time for
the ION sensing to start it's stuff. All nicely adjustable and possibly just
what the doctor ordered for engines where the pesky combustion chamber is
rotating whilst you are trying to light the mixture.

CDI through a dizzy I 'personally' rate along side catalytic converters,
chocolate tea pots and triumph herald suspension :-)

Bill