[Diy_efi] Ion Sensing project

Ville Vartiovaara vvartiov at cc.hut.fi
Thu Jul 4 20:21:21 GMT 2002

> I agree with Ville on this, in that that ION sensing is (in theory) ign=
ition
> agnostic. However, since you have to have a voltage generator at sround
> 400V, which just happens to be what CDI needs you can also use is to ch=
arge
> a bank of capacitors for a CNP CDI system. By coupling the ignition and=
 ION
> sensing together you open up a number of interesting possibilities that=
 can
> keep the arc struck for a lot longer and get very good time control of =
when
> the arc is extinguished.
>=20
> So you can have 50Kv to bridge the spark gap, then 50A or so to ensure =
> good fat flame kernel, hold it for 10=B0ish and turn it off just in tim=
e for
> the ION sensing to start it's stuff. All nicely adjustable and possibly=
 just
> what the doctor ordered for engines where the pesky combustion chamber =
is
> rotating whilst you are trying to light the mixture.

If only I had a CDI done, but it'd be another story..;)

Actually I've thought of this (making CDI+Ion sensing at the same time)
just because of the matching voltages and thus resulting neat module, but
as the making of a few watt 400V inverter was an effort in itselt, I fear
a bit making a 200W one needed by a reasonable CDI.. Especially as due to
noise issues it should have quite high operating freq..

It sure is just a matter of work, but..