[Diy_efi] Ignition Stuff

William Shurvinton shurvinton at orange.net
Fri Jul 5 22:23:11 GMT 2002

All commercial designs have to compromise somewhere. Even (especially) the
stuff we put out, despite being designed for MTBFs of 10 years or so has to
be built to a price albeit high. Auto manufacturers bitch if you add 2cents
to the price of a custom IC. Having said all that I reckon the SAAB engine
management is the best engineered out there at the moment.

Satellites were one area I worked where compromise was minimal. Beryllium
and gold everywhere. Fiendishly expensive raychem wiring, but stone age
electronics. Iridium advanced the state of the art in on board processing by
about a decade. Shame the business plan was laughable when you analysed it.