[Diy_efi] DIY-WB info

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Sat Jul 6 05:07:19 GMT 2002

WEG1192 at aol.com wrote:
> I'm talking about the general concept that
> you guys tried to convince me was the saving grace of this and the GMECM
> list. Hints that it isn't completely open abounded right from the start, but
> I missed them. One, you weren't completely forthcoming in your tuning tips
> and admit so when you say, "Gotta keep an edge." Second, Shannen's BS about
> the BCC lookup not being for the general public. You can't be open today and
> closed tomorrow. That's all I have to say about you hypocrits. Don't bother
> to respond because you'll be wasting bandwidth, unless the lil guys need some
> more bandwidth consuming attention again.
>
> JW

The bcc lookup program was written by me, for me.  It was released
following the organization of the .bin library to help members of the lists
when looking up .bin files.

It does not exist, nor was it written, for professional shops or
mechanics/technicians/programmers/tuners who are making money on the job to
use.  There are pay for services out there which provide the same
information.
Accessing the page takes up bandwidth.  The space is available because I
pay a fair amount of money that covers a certain bill every year.  The
bandwidth is limited, and the space to host it is limited.  I have been
given permission to keep the site though I've specifically been told that
1) sites are not normally allowed to be kept up year after year, 2) the
computer that hosts it is one of a batch of similar computers which have
already crashed, and 3) if there's too much traffic the site will be taken
down.

If the site is taken down, it will very likely not go back up.  Steve has
offered to host it, but I cannot release the software under the FSF rules
that are in place.  Others have offered to host it, but I do not wish to
allow people the opportunity to copy it.  So it will be on a site which I
have some control of, or it will not be.

Although I have placed the intention of the page at the top, I have not
restricted its access.  Anyone who chooses to use the page is currently
able to do so without my stopping them.  This has been true throughout the
whole time it has been up.  If it gets taken down because of excess use,
then the people who do not have access to the pay for services will have no
means to do lookups.  We will be back to the old method of posting a
question to the list, and someone with the info posting the answer, and
someone else accusing the people with the info of being hypocritical
elitists for not making it freely available.

So that page is not for the general public.  I did not write that software
for anyone and everyone to use.  I did not post links to it with any search
engines.  I have not shared the page with anyone who is not on DIY or
GMECM.  I do not want people outside this community to use the page any
more than you would want contractors across the street to plug their
extension cords into your electricity.  Limiting the bccfind page to list
members is no different than complaining about using the list for support
for a business.  And while this may sound like I'm taking another stab at
you, I'm really saying "I didn't do anything different on bccfind than I've
done anywhere else on the list."

I have always felt that members of the list community should be willing to
contribute to the list.  Otherwise, it will not grow.  I have never felt
that the list resources should be open to non list members.  Although I
have never advocated restricting access to the pages.

As I write this, I cannot help but wonder why you have a complaint as to
the wording of the page.  Hmmm...  Oh, there we go.  You went ahead and
said "go ahead and unsubscribe me from gmecm!  I don't care!"  Then you see
that the top of the bcc page says "...For GMECM only" and maybe you think
it had something to do with you?  AFAIK, you were unsubbed after the page
was changed.   I hadn't paid any attention either way.  The page is GMECM
specific, and so I wrote that it's for gmecm members.

Hopefully this sheds some light for you and a few others.
Shannen