[Diy_efi] Factory knock control vs. standalone

Grant Beaty gbeaty at ufl.edu
Tue Jul 16 07:10:25 GMT 2002

I've heard from a few people (and I don't know if they know anything), that
a factory ECU has knock control filters that are specifically designed for
that engine, and they are usually superior to standalone ECUs. For example,
the new AEM EMS has a map of "knock noise" vs. RPM, when the knock sensor
voltage goes over the value on the map, it triggers whatever event its
supposed to do on knock (pull timing or fuel).

The ECUs I'm wondering about are the ones for the 2JZ-GTE (Toyota Supra
motor) and 4G63 (DSM motor). Both of these motors have a reputation for
being extremely strong and knock-resisitant, even in the face of incredibly
poor tuning and stupidity.

Does anyone know if knock detection algorithms used by manufactorers are
better than the simple maps used by the AEM EMS?

Thanks for any help,
Grant