[Diy_efi] DIY-WB construction & testing... help

Scott Campbell oneslowalltrac at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 19 21:36:22 GMT 2002

Hi Andrew,

As you now know, that description of Anode/Cathode
identification is backward.

On an LED, the Anode(+) is identified by the longer
lead and/or a flat on the side of the LED.  The
Cathode(-) is the shorter lead.

 (pin 2) Cathode ----|<|---- Anode (pin 1)

Scott.

--- Andrew Brownsword <asword at telus.net> wrote:
> >>on 7/18/02 2:27 PM, rr at RRauscher at nni.com wrote:
> I reversed it and now it works fine.  I had it
> backward because this page
> http://www.aces.edu/~gparmer/efi/temp/wb/guide.html
> says:
>
> "The cathode (+) is identified by end having the
> stripe , a "+" marking, or
> a longer lead. Also notable is that the LED has a
> flat spot machined on side
> of the lens corresponding to the anode (-). On the
> schematic, the cathode is
> the base of the triangle and the anode is the
> straight bar with the triangle
> pointing at it. Notice that the cathode (+) being
> identified by a stripe is
> a theme repeated on the circuit board (even for
> diodes like the LED which
> are not identified this way). If the leads have
> already been cut on your
> LED, look inside the diode. You'll notice two hunks
> of metal. The larger is
> the anode."
>
> Which, as I read it anyhow, implies that the flat
> spot is anode and the
> stripe is cathode... meaning that the flat spot is
> away from the stripe.
> What am I missing?

=====
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." -- Hanlon's Razor