[Diy_efi] DIY-WB construction & testing... help

efi_student efi.student at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 20 07:18:48 GMT 2002

Don't waste a lot of money on specialized cleaners that are either
marginal or just plain expensive.  If you are using conventional rosin
cored solder, isopropyl alcohol or denatured ethanol work just fine.  We
used to buy denatured in 5 gallon cans when I worked on an electronics
bench every day.  Splash and scrub a little with a stiff brush (we used
to get plumber's flux brushes and clip them off at about 6mm from the
root).  Joints should be brilliantly silver and shiny, if not, they
could be "cold" joints and highly resistive.  Cold joints should be
reheated, and if still appearing dull after reheat, should be refluxed
and reheated.  I have seen MANY failures from cold solder joints.

Lance