[Diy_efi] Need help: micro for DIY Progressive N2O controller

daveb at codyscafe.com daveb at codyscafe.com
Mon Jul 22 03:20:19 GMT 2002

Not to flood the list but...

I'm also working on a couple of side projects aside from hacking away in
the honda ECUs.

One is a microcontroller powered progressive nitrous controller (could be
adapted for boost too very easily).

I'm looking at using the Dallas 87C550 micro for now, although I'm not
terribly happy with how expensive it is ($23 ea for 10).

I am going to be writing most of the code in C (I'm a wuss - my assembly
skills are 'leet enough yet - I'll probably work over the C code before I
use it...) so the architecture doesn't matter that much, as long as it has
a C compiler. The application is going to be PWM of a 25 hertz signal to
the n2o solenoids(or wastegate solenoids) so I'm not really that concerned
with micro speed.  I'm going to try to keep the code simple, so there is no
reason to expect needing more than 4k of memory.  ISP capability would be a
BIG plus so I wouldnt have to use an external flash chip to store tunable
parameters in.  4 PWM outputs and 4 8 bit (or 10bit.. 8 would be fine) A/D
conversion inputs would also be required.  3 timers would also definately
help.

So far I found a glossy paper on a Winbond 8051-compatible micro that looks
good too...

I was thinking of the microchip PICs too...

I looked at the cygnal chips, but they lack PWM.
I looked at ATMEL 89C chips, but they lack PWM.

I looked at the ATMEL AVR chips - they looked pretty nice and cheap too.

I'm going to finish designing the driver circuitry for the solenoids and
writing C code, and hoepfully someone can provide some ideas for a micro
that suits the job well.

peace
-Dave