[Diy_efi] MAP Sensor

Andrew Brownsword asword at telus.net
Wed Jul 24 05:38:55 GMT 2002

--MS_Mac_OE_3110308519_911820_MIME_Part

Well I'll take a shot at it...

Engine load is basically the amount of air per revolution of the engine.
Usually the amount of air entering the engine is measured and then divided
by the engine's current speed, on the assumption that this will average out
to the amount of air consumed by the cylinders.

The airflow into the engine is usually measured either directly with an
airflow sensor (vane airflow sensor + air temperature sensor, or by a mass
airflow sensor), or by a method called "speed/density".  The speed/density
method measures the pressure in the intake manifold, the engine's speed, the
air temperature (and others?).  The various quantities are then fed to
hard-coded tables in the computer's memory which essentially encode the
volumetric efficiency of the engine and a wide variety of engine states.
The result of this integration operation is the current airflow into the
engine.

Did I miss anything?

 Andrew