[Diy_efi] diff. bet regular and automotive standard wires?

Ne14RoxCJ at aol.com Ne14RoxCJ at aol.com
Sat Jul 27 05:48:29 GMT 2002

--part1_ca.f1e70ff.2a738cc9_boundary

A co-worker (ex-navy) explained that every 28 days out to sea, the jets were
checked for corrosion. Every connector was taken apart, cleaned and coated
with a "grease" I'm sure is similar to what Shannen described. The difference
is that this stuff hardened to form a resistant barrier.  I don't think you
want to take your car apart every 28 days. But, he also mentioned that every
connection outside the A/C was a sealed connector (no ring terminals). This
is also not very practical on your car. Not much advice but to find some type
of coating for your exposed connections.

Which brings me to mention that I was somewhat wrong to suggest RTV. I was
informed recently that RTV itself is corrosive (most types). There is a
special "electrical grade" RTV, but locating some may be a chore. We also use
Glyptal, or "red insulating varnish". This stuff may be the way to go. We
have it in aerosol cans and brush on bottles. A good source might be an
electronics supply or an electric motor shop. I also found that this stuff
has been used for years to coat the inside of engines (lifter valleys, inside
heads, etc.) to prevent oil/sludge build-up. This is what I would use to seal
the metal-metal connection, but not the connector. FWIW...

Beau

--part1_ca.f1e70ff.2a738cc9_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>A co-worker (ex-navy) explained that every 28 days out to sea, the jets were checked for corrosion. Every connector was taken apart, cleaned and coated with a "grease" I'm sure is similar to what Shannen described. The difference is that this stuff hardened to form a resistant barrier. &nbsp;I don't think you want to take your car apart every 28 days. But, he also mentioned that every connection outside the A/C was a sealed connector (no ring terminals). This is also not very practical on your car. Not much advice but to find some type of coating for your exposed connections.
<BR>
<BR>Which brings me to mention that I was somewhat wrong to suggest RTV. I was informed recently that RTV itself is corrosive (most types). There is a special "electrical grade" RTV, but locating some may be a chore. We also use Glyptal, or "red insulating varnish". This stuff may be the way to go. We have it in aerosol cans and brush on bottles. A good source might be an electronics supply or an electric motor shop. I also found that this stuff has been used for years to coat the inside of engines (lifter valleys, inside heads, etc.) to prevent oil/sludge build-up. This is what I would use to seal the metal-metal connection, but not the connector. FWIW...
<BR>
<BR>Beau</FONT></HTML>

--part1_ca.f1e70ff.2a738cc9_boundary--