[Diy_efi] Spark Plug readings

Brian Renegar thomas.renegar at nist.gov
Mon Jul 29 22:39:05 GMT 2002

Jeez Perry.  If you really wanted to pick on me, you could have just sent
me a private message.  Anyways, comments to your responses follow....

>BTW, why are you using the F303 cam?  An E303 or stock 5.0 cam would be
>better.  The F303 isn't designed for turbo apps.  The E303 has 0 overlap
>and the stock has somewhere like -6 degrees or more of overlap.  The stock
>cobra cam has -4 to -6 degrees of overlap and more duration than a stock
>5.0 cam.

The F303 cam IS designed to be a forced induction cam.  At .050" lift, it
has -2* overlap, whereas the E303 has 0*.  So it has LESS overlap than the
E cam, making it a better candidate for turbos.  Yes, the stock cam does do
well with turbos.  But only to about 500RWHP with 1.7 rockers.  After that
you just don't have the lift or duration necessary for higher HP levels.

>Also, why aren't you using the RT to log all this stuff?  You wouldn't
>need a copilot if you were logging all the data.

I AM using the RT to log.  I just finished up my diy-wb yesterday, so I
will be logging that as well.  But the RT does not have the capability of
logging boost, and other things that I would like to monitor like the
Snap-On "ears" used to listen for inaudible pinging.

>Also, is this a complete incon kit?

Yes.

>If you are having ANY detonation problems, there is something wrong.  You
>said you calculated your compression ratio, could you post the following bits:

I am not having detonation.  The engine is running very rich.  Don't have
the information on the compression ratio right here.  I calculated that a
long time ago.  So I'm not sure where the info went off to.  But I took
into consideration all that you mentioned.

>I was looking at the incon kit a while back after reading about it.  The
>people I talked to said that they had supply problems.  So, I started
>thinking about TDC and their kits appear better engineered.  If I were you,
>I would give Turbo People a call and get their advice.

It is true that Incon appears to be going under, or has gone under.  But
the quality of the kit is top notch.  Why do you say TDC's are better
engineered?

>Oh, another thing, when you 'command' a 10.8:1 AFR from the EEC-IV, you aren't
>getting 10.8:1.  That is a pseudo AFR.  The Ford computer calculates the AFR
>based on MAF and injector size.  Since the injector size is usually different
>for the low and high slopes, it interpolates.  The real reason for the low
>and high slopes is to get the car to run right and idle at low RPMS.  The
>injector isn't really as sloppy as ford makes you believe.  Also, very few
>people and tuners use the actual MAF curve, they just screw with the CID
>value.
>This is successful for some, but it further skews what you 'command' from the
>computer.  When you are 'command'ing 13.2:1, it could really be 14:1.  You
>can verify this using widebands or narrowbands with datalogging against the
>computer to find the stoic crossing.  You need to determine what your fudge
>factor is.

I understand all of that.  Injector high slope has nothing to do with
running at WOT though.  Don't know why you threw that in there.  I have the
MAF correctly entered, and use the Ford Lightning values for the 42#
injectors.  Once I get everything completely dialed in, if it commands a
10.8:1 AFR, it WILL be at 10.8:1.

>BTW, is this a street legal car?  If not, ditch the stock computer.  I only
>have the stock computer because I *have to* for CA emissions purposes.

Yes it is a street legal car.  But even if it were not, I would keep the
EEC in there.

>BTW, you can get a standalone datalogger called the SNEEC from Race systems.
>It does EEC-IV datalogging and is supposedly fairly robust.  Check out
>http://racesystems.com/

Not for the price he's asking on that.  I can build my own data logging
system for less than $50.  I already have in place a Dataq logger.  That
plus the data logging capabilities of the TwEECer RT are all that I need.

Brian