[Diy_efi] ignition timing variation

Stewart Prince sprince at csun.edu
Tue Jul 30 17:04:52 GMT 2002

Does anyone have any information on "acceptable" variation of ignition
timing?  We're getting about +/- 2 degrees of jitter on our home-built
EFI system (Formula SAE).  By my calcs, 100 microseconds of error
corresponds to 1.8 degrees of rotation at 3000 rpm, and 7.2 at 12,000
rpm (assume constant angular velocity). I believe the students are using
the time between the last two teeth on an 8-tooth wheel (crank mounted)
to calculate engine speed.  Is it possible that some sort of averaging
scheme should be used to account for the speed variation due to combustion?

--
STEWART PRINCE

PROFESSOR, MECHANICAL ENGINEERING

CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, NORTHRIDGE