[Diy_efi] Looking for some help on a speed sensor project

Saxon, Howard (AFS-Warren) Hsaxon at afs.bwauto.com
Wed Jun 19 13:44:33 GMT 2002

Hello all.  I'm not too good at this but I'll try to describe what I want
and what a "semi-knowledgeable" friend told me I need.  What I'm trying to
do is trip 1 or 2 relays based on car speed, not RPM.  The car's speed
sensor operates like this.  There are 2 contacts.  One is grounded and the
other has 5 volts going to it.  Contacts inside close 8 times per revolution
and the sensor internally rotates 1000 times per mile, so it puts out
approximately 8000 pulses per mile.  What I need is to somehow turn on a
relay at a certain "pulse per time" or speed and have it turn off if the
speed drops below that point again - and have it adjustable so I can fine
tune the car.  My friend said that, for starters, I need a "frequency
counter" and then a way to convert that to a switchable signal.  Any help
would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx a lot,

Howard Saxon
Senior Designer