DIY Traction Control

Axel Rietschin axel_rietschin at CompuServe.com
Thu Mar 14 08:03:47 GMT 2002

> but why would I need deal with
> the spark timing as well?

On a turbocar you want to retard (not cut) the sparks to avoid slowing down
the turbo too much while reducing engine power. At some point you may have
to make a compromise between reducing slip and keeping the boost up. Cutting
too much cycles will kill the boost and turbolag is not exactly your best
friend in launch and traction control scenarii. A certain amount of ignition
retard is a smooth way to reduce power on NA engines. You may want to begin
by retarding a few degrees first, then start cutting cylinders as necessary.

--Axel

PS: I'm looking for a device having four wheel speed inputs and one output.
I'd like to be able to choose what I want as output, for example the avg
wheel speed, fastest wheel, slowest wheel, or the median speed, ignoring the
fastest and slowest and averaging the remaining two. The idea is to do 4wd
traction control with a 2wd TC system, using the output of this device as
"driven" wheel speed and a non-contact speed sensor (a Doppler effect ground
speed radar) as "undriven" wheel speed.

Any idea?