DIY-WB02 display

rr RRauscher at nni.com
Thu Mar 14 08:04:41 GMT 2002

The light bulb test is not the best. To simulate a cold sensor
use a 3 to 4 ohm 5 W resistor. You will need to keep the
duration short. A cold sensor only stays cold for about 10
seconds. Within 45  seconds it will be > 700 deg C.

Use the 3-4 ohm to measure the max current limit and then
power the circuit down. The max current should be ~ 1.5A.

Then switch to a 10 ohm 5 W resistor. With this resistor the
circuit will voltage limit at 10.4 to 10.5 volts. The current will
typically be ~1.05A.

In this mode the circuit may be left powered up indefinitely.
The resistor will get hot, so be careful. A hot NGK WB sensor
runs about 9.8 to 10.4 ohms. The resistance of a cold NGK
WB sensor is about 3.3 ohms at room temperature.

Note that the above tests are for the DIY-WB heater control
circuit.

BobR.