Injector timing

Rausch, Bernd br at rnt.de
Thu Mar 14 13:31:26 GMT 2002

After thinking about injector sizes and timing I came up with the following idea:

When driving WOT at injector duties of 80-90%, you inject about 50-70% of the fuel on the back of the closed intake valve. Due to the heat of the valve, the fuel will vaporize. When the valve is opening, the first gas entering the engine will be almost pure fuel, the air entering the engine at later time contains much less fuel. So the fuel distribution is very uneven and the you will get less air in the cylinder due to the vaporized fuel.

What about using big injectors and injecting only when the intake valve is open ? With opening times of about 230deg, you need big injectors with low duty cycles of 720deg/230deg, about 30% at WOT.

Did anyone try if the use of such big injectors with accurate timing will improve power/fuel consumption ? I am aware that you will need a dual injector setup to get the engine idle properly.

Best regards,
Bernd