Injector timing

Axel Rietschin Axel_Rietschin at CompuServe.com
Fri Mar 15 07:18:00 GMT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rausch, Bernd" <br at rnt.de>
To: <diy_efi at diy-efi.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 16:35
Subject: Injector timing

> What about using big injectors and injecting only when the intake valve is
open ? With opening times of about 230deg, you need big injectors with low
duty cycles of 720deg/230deg, about 30% at WOT.

It actually helps the torque a little to deliberately inject on a closed
valve at mid rpm range. With huge injectors you may get big droplets that
don't really evaporate well, so you'll run lean with a lot of unburnt fuel,
so you will increase to fuel to run normally rich (for max power) and you'll
end up with a whole lot of unburnt fuel, very poor emissions and very poor
economy. This was the main reasons why I switched to paired injectors of a
smaller size (2x bosch 400 per cylinder instead of 1x 403 - I plan to use
the even smaller bosch 803 in the near future as I have too much headroom
with the 400's). For best power and economy I believe a good approach is to
use a high fuel pressure and the smallest injectors with enough flow for the
application.

--Axel