DIY-WB02 display / Testing

bcroe at juno.com bcroe at juno.com
Tue Mar 26 23:22:05 GMT 2002

I agree with the efficiency issue.  A switching driver would
also have noise issues, a high price to pay for 3.4 watts.

Using a rather low resistance (large light bulb) to test the
heater circuit is not a good idea, because it will operate
the regulator at full current and much increased voltage
drop, tending to generate lots of heat.  A known resistor
connected rather briefly is a better idea.

Substituting a 0.1 ohm FET driver for the LT1086 would
reduce the minimum device drop from 1.3 V to 0.125 V,
a reduction of 1.175V.  But this would also allow the
voltage drop across the current sensing resistor to be
reduced to half or even less, bringing the required
voltage down at least 1.8 volts.  There is also an advantage
that the FET will tolerate much higher battery transients
without breakdown.  For this however there is a price to
pay.  A couple of additional OP amps are needed to
regulate voltage and current.  Despite that I have used
this design for my WB cirucuits.

Bruce Roe