Oxygen sensors...

EFI Dude efidude at avn-tech.com
Tue Mar 26 23:23:22 GMT 2002

Hi,

I am trying to find information on the various types of oxygen sensors
that are available, but haven't found much (so far) in the archives, though
I'm sure that this discussion must've been beaten to death on this list.  Is
there a quick link to a site that can give me some good info?  I'm still
searching the archives though.

Initially, I'd like to know what output signal I can expect from my existing
O2 sensors (1990 Mustang 5.0).  I know that it will be pulsed, but
it that by design?  Or is it due to the firing of the cylinders?  By that I
mean that if I placed the sensor in an enclosed container that has
a gas with a certain a/f ratio, will I see a fixed output, or a pulsing
output?

I'm also trying to find info on the different types of aftermarket wide-band
sensors.  I've spoken with NTK who says that their wide bands are
continuous voltage output with their controller boxes, but won't give me
info on the O2 sensor outputs by themselves.

I also heard that the Honda Insight (and possibly a Civic model) uses
a wide-band sensor, but I haven't yet found out the specs on these.

Thanks,
-Neil.