DIY Traction Control

Axel Rietschin Axel_Rietschin at CompuServe.com
Tue Mar 26 23:34:56 GMT 2002

> As a supplier and mfg of Doppler speed radars, be aware that they do not
> work at low speed (1-5 mph range) with much reliability.  It has to do
with
> filtering out low frequency noise.  Also, depending upon signal
processing,
> they can have a startup delay when moving off of a Dead stop.  I have been
> toying with the idea of using one of these as a wheel slip measurement
> (already done on agricutural tractors) but only above 5 mph.

Thanks for the advice. The unit I'm using has a locking latency of 0.02s
during which no output will be produced but the data sheet says nothing
about low speed issues, except that it works only from 1.6km/h (1mph) . I've
not yet made any actual tests but I'll closely watch the range you
mentionned, thanks.

> Are you in the Rally crowd??

Yes but this experiment is for a road-going car at the moment.

--Axel