DIY Traction Control

Perry Harrington pedward at apsoft.com
Wed Mar 27 07:52:16 GMT 2002

I was thinking about traction control on my Mustang.  Since I have
a Crane HI-6 that can pull out 20 degrees via a boost reference (simple
analog input), you could use that retard to do the same thing commercial
traction control does.

You would use the abs sensors to read wheelspeed, simply compare the pulsewidths
of the front and rear wheels.

Simply retard the ignition based on the percentage difference between the
sum of the front wheel speeds vs the rear wheels.

--Perry

On Thu, Mar 21, 1996 at 03:08:04PM -0500, Bruce wrote:

> I'd first tackle things a bit differently.  You way seems to really beat on
> the engine.
> I'd start with a timing and fuel map, that is referenced to TPS, and VSS (of
> a none slipping wheel).  It would be just enough timing and fuel to possibly
> haz the tires, and then use the Traction Control to fine tune that set of
> maps with some feed back.
>    With a displacement of 1.8L that would seem to be a 4 banger, dropping
> one cylinder is going to be like a 30+% drop in power, which is alot
> Bruce

Perry Harrington             Linux rules all OSes.               APSoft      ()
perry at apsoft dot com 			                 Think Blue. /\

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty or safety. Nor, are they likely to end up with either.
                             -- Benjamin Franklin