[Diy_efi] I must be asking lame questions.

Jon V jon at valesh.com
Thu May 9 20:13:44 GMT 2002

On Thu, 9 May 2002, Mike Diehl wrote:

> On Wednesday 08 May 2002 09:10 pm, mike katz wrote:
>      > C'mon guys. That's enough. The archives are long
>      > enough. Let's not fill it up with anymore fighting
>      > please. Admin or not Bruce, don't fuel the fire...
>      > Let it go. All of you.
>      >
>      > Mike
>
> Well, I hate to add to this, but I have an offer to make.  I really don't
> have much time right now, but I do have a webserver up 24x7.  If someone
> wanted to setup a mail index program, I could server a searchable archive
> from my machine.

Out of curriosity... why would we want to have the archive on a machine
other than the relatively nice machine that we have set up just for the
mailing lists/web sites/etcetera?

I am sure that it isn't quite as nice as whatever you have, but it is a
1.5Ghz Athlon (1700XP) with 512MB of RAM, a 60GB spinning on a RAID mirror
set, a decent filesystem (RieserFS) for handling bunches of little files
(like the output of MHonArc), and it is all but untapped.

The fact seems to be that nobody has much time, and that time (not server
space) is all that is slowing us down. Steve R. is in the process of
setting up the archives on the server we have.

But, and I'll say this again... there are many things that someone with
decent connectivity and a server can provide. If you've got a 24/7 'net
connection on a fixed IP, and you aren't contractually excluded from
running a "server," on that connection, there are things that would help.
I throw in the contract caveat because if you are on DSL/Cable and you
don't have "business grade" service, it is more headache than it is worth.
DSL and Cable companies have been known to block ports, shift IPs, and do
all sorts of mean nasty things just to make life miserable. But if you are
on frame/T1 (or something equally respectable) and you are interested in
helping out, contact me directly.

--

Jon

If people have to choose between freedom and sandwiches, they
will take sandwiches.
                -- Lord Boyd-orr

Eats first, morals after.
                -- Bertolt Brecht, "The Threepenny Opera"