[Diy_efi] New to list, have a question about speed density and turbos

Eric D Byrd klox at juno.com
Sun Nov 3 03:19:34 GMT 2002

First, I have studied basics of feedback control, and if the system
oscillates, there are ways to achieve tighter control with less tendency
to oscillate.  I would speculate that the closed loop methods currently
in use themselves make use of the most primitive control algorithms,
because of commercial/mass production reasons.  Second, I've seen how a/f
meters, the ones with led lights, operate, and they seem to oscillate
with a period much faster than 2 seconds, which leads me to suspect that
a better wideband sensor might be used to better effect, with a more
effective control algorithm with much less oscillation about the target
point.  Third, if the answer were obvious to me, I would not have asked
the question.  At this point I don't even remember what the question was;
 in fact what I remember is that I suggested a good final goal would be
to try to create a closed loop system of fuel control under boost with a
wbO2 sensor.  Not at all a ridiculous idea, or one that would be
instantly ruled out by a basic understanding of EFI, as you suggested.
And at the risk of repeating myself, if manufacturers always did things
the best way, there would be no need for forums of this kind.  And since
the logic of this assertion apparently wasn't clear the first time I said
it, I will spell it out.  The fact that there are hundreds or thousands
of people trying to put together their own EFI projects on mailing lists
like this one, is pretty telling proof that manufacturers do not always
do things the best way.  Defense rests.

Otherwise, I will not get into an argument about people asking questions
that are already covered in basic sources.  The reason people ask such
questions, is that they are hoping to find out without spending hours
poring over the basic texts.  It may well be that they will decide they
want the kind of deep, complete information that such study would yield,
but in the meantime, it is no crime for them to ask such questions, and
if a member of the list were irritated by the basic questions, they have
the reasonable option to ignore the questions, delete the message, get on
with their own more profound researches.  There is not one knowledgeable
person in existence, about any subject, who was not once a rookie
himself, and I would speculate that almost every one of those people at
one time or another asked a very basic question that is covered in basic
manuals.  Therefore, it would be hypocritical for any one of those people
to get up in arms because a rookie asks a rookie question.  To the more
experienced person, I might well say, answer the question, or ignore it,
but curb your impatience, because that is, in all likelihood,
hypocritical.