[Diy_efi] New to list, have a question about speed density and turbos

Eric D Byrd klox at juno.com
Sun Nov 3 03:26:59 GMT 2002

No actual experience, alas... but I have fairly broad theoretical
knowledge ranging from engineering courses from college to more specific
stuff picked up from websites, several different forums on EFI, Honda
performance, turbo sites.  Am currently working on putting a t25 on my 90
CRX Si, but having heard horror stories about blowing up engines from
turbocharging wrong, I decided to learn all about it before actually
doing it, and the more I learn, the more I see I need to know to do it
right.  The "ghetto" methods of fuel delivery and timing control are too
rough to do it safely and above all cleanly.  I am even researching ways
to boost, while keeping mix close to stoich, because the reason we have
emissions laws is that we have too many cars making too many emissions.
You could justifiably call me a "tree-hugger".  The information I have, I
gleaned from dozens of other guys who do have direct experience with
turbos, and I am careful to file divergent information away until I find
out whose opinion is correct.  I am currently working on a patent
application for a rotary valve cylinder head, which will have no poppet
valves, no valve springs, no cam.  I started this project before I knew
there were already companies producing rotary valve cylinder heads, so I
know it's a great idea.