[Diy_efi] A timing related question

John Petersen john at underwoodgroup.com
Wed Nov 13 04:48:12 GMT 2002

DIY-EFIers,

I have been working on tuning a turbocharged Audi engine which has been
stroked from 2.2 to 2.6L. I have completed the fuel map for this engine,
manually observing the lambda values on a MoTeC, and using the trace
feature on an EPROM emulator to find out where values out of range are
occurring, and adjusting as necessary.

The engine now needs the timing to be adjusted. I do know the location
of the map for the timing, and the definition of the different points.
My question is: How do I know I have a good timing value?

I know that the first thing I must do is avoid knock, but with stereo
knock sensors and individual coils for each cylinder the system will, to
some degree, be adapting to any sound of knock in the first place.

Secondly, I must reduce exhaust gas temperatures (which are currently
stratospheric). I have been told that EGT follows a pattern of
decreasing with increased timing (more advance), up to the point at
which knock occurs. When knock occurs EGT goes through the roof and the
engine slowly digs its grave.

Any BTDT with regard to modifying timing, even if it's advice from early
distributor systems would be greatly appreciated. I apologize that this
might not be the correct forum for this, I currently know of none
better.

Thanks in advance (no pun intended)
-John