[Diy_efi] Group buy changed to injector timing

Dave Dahlgren ddahlgren at snet.net
Thu Nov 14 20:21:45 GMT 2002

First I have worked with the DTA stuff and it was a nightmare at the leas=
t.
First there is only 1 tech guy for the entire world and he is in England =
so you
have some time zone issues. Second i thought the whole programing process=
 not
very intuitive at all. Last even when you talk to the tech guy what he sa=
ys
sounds like english but the words make no sense..

Injection timing, are you looking for the injector opening or closing poi=
nt at
180 BTDC to TDC. I would assume the closing point. If we make the assumpt=
ion
that effective airflow is about done at 0.050 valve lift then an injector=
=20
closing point at this crank position is fairly realistic. But that would =
only be
true if the injector is at the valve face which it is not. This means you=
 have
to add the transport time to the closing poi nt. It is pretty simple to m=
easure
the distance from the injector to the face of the valve and to measure th=
e cross
section of the port. With these two numbers you can first calculate the m=
ean
airspeed at a given rpm and then calculate how many crank degrees it will=
 take
for the fuel to get past the valve for that rpm. That is a starting point=
 for
the value that the injector needs to close at. Of course there is some tu=
ning to
do from there and if you change the injector phasing and have to take fue=
l away
in order to get the correct AFR then you are going in the correct directi=
on. The
other thing that becomes obvious is that you need a phase map not just on=
e fixed
point. Numbers for injector closing for a high performance / race engine =
sound
more like from 100 to 300 degrees BTDC depending on the above factors. Ma=
ybe
this is why you are having trouble with the range of closing points you a=
re
seeking..

Dave Dahlgren