[Diy_efi] LPG injection

Bill Washington bill.washington at nec.com.au
Mon Nov 18 00:56:39 GMT 2002

Glynne,
	I stand to be corrected, but from what I understand there is one major hurdle which has dogged the concept of LPG injection. And that is the "Latent Heat of Vaporisation" of the LPG. The reason is that liquid fuels are injected as microfine droplets, but still a liquid however when you try to inject LPG it submilates, IE it turns directly from a liquid to a gas. To do this it absorbs heat from the surounding structure(metal, air, etc) - large amounts of heat - much more localised cooling than the waste heat into the area from the combustion chambers - and tends to freeze the injector - literally freeze it solid (either open or closed!) - thus end of control, BIG problems! This problem may have been solved, but to my knowledge has not yet been. This is obviously a much more fundamental issue to resolve before considering an ECU!
Regards
Bill W