[Diy_efi] New project- intake effect on VE on turbo car

Geddes, Brian J brian.j.geddes at intel.com
Thu Nov 21 21:18:29 GMT 2002

Pretty much what I was figuring.  This question stems from a technique =
I'm using to generate speed density fuel maps for my car.  In order to =
make tuning safer and easier, I disconnected my turbo outlets and put a =
K&N air filter directly on my throttle body.  The turbos are now blowing =
into the engine bay.  With the turbos disconnected, WOT is a constant =
load (around 100kpa, give or take barometric pressure), which has =
enabled me to generate a fuel curve at this load that holds 14.7 +/- .1 =
AFR points from 2000 to 7500 RPMs. =20

The next step it to reconnect the turbos, and scale this curve to higher =
load points (ie 200% at 200kpa, 300% at 300kpa, etc).  I'll of course =
richen the curve higher than 14.7:1 at boost, but having the basic shape =
of the curve should make it MUCH easier to get a consistent AFR under =
boost conditions.  BTW, the idea's not mine - Derek Obanion mentioned it =
to me and I decided to try it. =20

Assuming my naturally aspirated VE curve stays relatively constant when =
corrected for boost pressure, my tuning life will be much easier.  I =
hope.  :)

- Brian