[Diy_efi] LPG injection

Altaffer, Eric EM2 ealtaf at lincoln.navy.mil
Mon Nov 25 14:31:21 GMT 2002

>In some ways. It's for SURE why methanol fueled engines tend to foul the
>plugs before they are warmed up!!  It also is REALLY bad for the efficiency
>and hurts the power output when some of the heat of combustion goes into
>evaporating the rest of the fuel !
>You're getting right AT the reason why some of the mfgr's have played with
>that 80/20 ethanol/gasoline mix. At stoich, the latent heat of vaporization
>of that mix is just about PERFECT for having the last of the fuel get
>evaporated JUST as the spark plug ignites it.
>It seems like methanol would be very good at
>surpressing det if this were the case.
>This very much IS the case, and methanol IS excellent at avoiding
detonation.

There is a bog problem with adding methanol to gasoline.  The o2 sensors
that are on the cars are trying to maintain a stioch mixture for gasoline.
When you add the meth, the car is a bit lean at 14.7.  This is BAD for
detonation suppression.  I live in California where they have introduced 10%
meth into the gasoline and I could not get the darn thing to stop detonating
even at low boost.  Luckily they do not add meth to the 100 octane.  That is
all I run.

>Not to mention that injecting SOME of the methanol pre-turbo (under boost
>conditions only) would put some internal coolant into the
>compressor--reducing the work needed to do the compression, thus ultimately
>reducing backpressure on the motor from the turbine, and possibly
>eliminating the need for an IC.
>Greg

Can you explain that one a little more in-depth.  I would never inject a
liquid into the turbo.  Nitrous no problem, but a liquid, never.  I would be
worried about the blades destructing not only from thermal shock, but the
mechanical shock.  Also the alcohol is taking place of air in the
compression cycle.  Since liquid is nearly incompressible, I would think it
takes away from compressing the air.  I would however inject the alky after
the intercooler, or the turbo for those not running an intercooler.  Just my
thoughts.  ERIC.