[Diy_efi] Custom detonation detecting

Jon Prevost prevost.3 at osu.edu
Tue Nov 26 16:07:35 GMT 2002

------=_NextPart_000_002A_01C289A8.0FE1C300

It's rather simple. BTW, all of the questions I ask on this subject are =
completely non-profit if that makes any bit of a difference. Anyways, =
I'm on the formula SAE team at Ohio State University and we've got a =
professional engine dyno setup. www.formulabuckeyes.com is our website.
We're using a Haltech ecm to do control fuel and spark. Right now I'm =
designing data aq and I want to make a way to detect detonation. I was =
thinking about using a knock sensor and recording it with the data aq =
along with torque. When we advance too far and torque takes a nose dive =
it would make sence that at that frequency there is detonation? If not, =
what would be a good way to set this up?
The engine is a 16valve F4i and it's an all stock bottom end.
What I'm trying to do is program a nifty program that'll self tune for =
peak fuel and spark to give us a close estimate, then if things work out =
go ahead and lean out the map till there is a decrease in torque. This =
isn't going to happen overnight but it's a winter project that I feel =
could save us lots of time after making dramatic changes with the intake =
design and exhaust etc.
Does anybody know what frequency range is needed in a knock sensor for =
this little 4 banger? I was thinking about starting with a simple knock =
sensor from a GM 4 cylinder cav. The sensor will be located in the block =
somewhere, not sure exactly where though. The sensor will also not be on =
the car when it's in the field, just during dyno runs.
, Jon Prevost
------=_NextPart_000_002A_01C289A8.0FE1C300

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It's rather simple. BTW, all of the =
questions I ask=20
on this subject are completely non-profit if that makes any bit of a =
difference.=20
Anyways, I'm on the formula SAE team at Ohio State University and we've =
got a=20
professional engine dyno setup. <A=20
href=3D"http://www.formulabuckeyes.com">www.formulabuckeyes.com</A> is =
our=20
website.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We're using a Haltech ecm to do control =
fuel and=20
spark. Right now I'm designing data aq and I want to make a way to =
detect=20
detonation. I was thinking about using a knock sensor and recording it =
with the=20
data aq along with torque. When we advance too far and torque takes a =
nose dive=20
it would make sence that at that frequency there is detonation? If not, =
what=20
would be a good way to set this up?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The engine is a 16valve F4i and it's an =
all stock=20
bottom end.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>What I'm trying to do is program a =
nifty program=20
that'll self tune for peak fuel and spark to give us a close estimate, =
then if=20
things work out go ahead and lean out the map till there is a decrease =
in=20
torque. This isn't going to happen overnight but it's a winter project =
that I=20
feel could save us lots of time after making dramatic changes with the =
intake=20
design and exhaust etc.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Does anybody know what frequency range =
is needed in=20
a knock sensor for this little 4 banger? I was thinking about starting =
with a=20
simple knock sensor from a GM 4 cylinder cav. The sensor will be located =
in the=20
block somewhere, not sure exactly where though. The sensor will also not =
be on=20
the car when it's in the field, just during dyno runs.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>, Jon =
Prevost</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_002A_01C289A8.0FE1C300--