[Diy_efi] Fuel cycling ?

Mike erazmus at iinet.net.au
Thu Nov 28 16:23:14 GMT 2002

Hi Chaps,		(as its so quiet)

Some 20 years back I recall reading an article about fuel cycling
on a variation to a K-Jetronic system, it goes like this:-

a.	Basis is K-Jetronic system with sequential injector
	firing.

b.	Operation is normal except when engine warmed up and on
	'steady state' cruise, the ECU would selectively skip
	a fuel ijection cycle but keep all else the same...
	ie. Once in say 6 engine revolutions (or more depending
	on load) certain cylinders would have their fuel injection
	suspended.

I also recall reading this was done a Fiat taxis in Italy around
late 70's or early 80's and claimed a 15% fuel economy gain with
minimal effect on drivability (some attention to crank dynamics
would be essential I guess = American for "I suppose").

Of course nowadays we have the CAT to consider if such a lean
rush were to occur - even once in a few engine revolutions,

My queries resulting from this recollections are:-

1.	Anyone done this in last 5 years on this group, observations ?

2.	Any commercial systems that DIY_EFI users have encountered
	that allow this sort of sequencing (?) with exceptions ?

3.	Any other observations affecting engine/cat long term
	performance,

Regards

Mike Massen
Hm 08 9444 8961,  Mb 0438 048961

Some power stuff here: http://www.iinet.net.au/~erazmus

Ancient Sufi saying:
        "Should your God save you from adversity, choose another God"