[Diy_efi] Interesting AFR sensing idea

Eric Byrd klox at juno.com
Fri Nov 29 06:57:14 GMT 2002

Theoretically it seems straightforward to make a system that will guess
this on its own, and correct itself.  In closed loop, just before each
rich pulse, you know the mix is close to stoich.  You could take a plug
reading at this moment, and average several hundred readings, and know
this voltage corresponds to stoich.  In open loop, you could tap the fuel
map value, compute fuel mass in the charge according to injector flow
rate, which stays pretty constant, compute a corresponding rough AF value
with MAP/IAT/RPM/VE or MAF, and match these values over a decent sample
with the plug voltages.

But in practice, I would wager the plug voltage doesn't just vary with
mix.  I bet it also varies with charge temp, density, and who knows what
other variables that affect the resistance of the gap.

Still, if you had another way to measure AF, you could use those values
to calibrate your plug voltage system, and then you would have a good AF
measurement that was much faster than the one you started with.  But as
you pointed out, this curve is probably unique to this motor and setup.

Eric