[Diy_efi] 4L60E [long]

Rexdina at aol.com Rexdina at aol.com
Fri Nov 29 21:50:07 GMT 2002

--part1_22.32a6ebd3.2b193aed_boundary

  The transmission in question is out of a '99 Corvette, and yes they are
mounted in the rear coupled to the differential. They have a driveshaft
inclosed in a tube much like the old Ford torque tubes. The front of the
driveshaft inserts into a "coupler" mounted on a flexplate that is bolted to
the rear of the LS1 crankshaft.
   This is a project in the design stages, so no particular ECM/PCM has been
chosen yet. I would like to use an OBD 1 with a replaceable EPROM such as
found in PCMs circa 1994. It would be nice if a 350 engine could be used
instead of an LS1 simply for economics and the availability of 350s.
     Mike Adams does build tube chassis with C5 front and rear suspensions.
The one I saw was for a '34 Ford although I only saw the pictures of it. One
gentleman doing a similar project stated he wound up doing a lot of
modifications to the rear control arms to get the suspension narrow enough to
fit under a '34 Ford.
    I was just trying to find out some more information on the electronics
involved to control the transmission. An earlier reply stated that the C5
actually uses a 4L65E instead on a 4L60E. I had never heard of a 4L65E, so
I'm going to have to research that aspect some more. I had thought that if
the C5 transmission was a 4L60E, it shouldn't be too difficult to control it
using an earlier ECM/PCM.
     Probably easiest to just use an LS1 and C5 PCM, but if we all went the
easiset route, this board probably wouldn't exist.
     I'd like to thank all respondents as I'm still on the learning curve on
this project any any info at all is certainly appreciated.
     My apologies to anyone that objects as the EFI content is minimal at
this point. I thought I'd post my questions here because this is one of the
most knowledgeable boards I've ever found. As the EFI content on this project
increases, I'll gladly share any accurate knowledge I gain.

   Harry

--part1_22.32a6ebd3.2b193aed_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>  The transmission in question is out of a '99 Corvette, and yes they are mounted in the rear coupled to the differential. They have a driveshaft inclosed in a tube much like the old Ford torque tubes. The front of the driveshaft inserts into a "coupler" mounted on a flexplate that is bolted to the rear of the LS1 crankshaft.
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;This is a project in the design stages, so no particular ECM/PCM has been chosen yet. I would like to use an OBD 1 with a replaceable EPROM such as found in PCMs circa 1994. It would be nice if a 350 engine could be used instead of an LS1 simply for economics and the availability of 350s.
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Mike Adams does build tube chassis with C5 front and rear suspensions. The one I saw was for a '34 Ford although I only saw the pictures of it. One gentleman doing a similar project stated he wound up doing a lot of modifications to the rear control arms to get the suspension narrow enough to fit under a '34 Ford.
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I was just trying to find out some more information on the electronics involved to control the transmission. An earlier reply stated that the C5 actually uses a 4L65E instead on a 4L60E. I had never heard of a 4L65E, so I'm going to have to research that aspect some more. I had thought that if the C5 transmission was a 4L60E, it shouldn't be too difficult to control it using an earlier ECM/PCM.
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Probably easiest to just use an LS1 and C5 PCM, but if we all went the easiset route, this board probably wouldn't exist.
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I'd like to thank all respondents as I'm still on the learning curve on this project any any info at all is certainly appreciated.
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;My apologies to anyone that objects as the EFI content is minimal at this point. I thought I'd post my questions here because this is one of the most knowledgeable boards I've ever found. As the EFI content on this project increases, I'll gladly share any accurate knowledge I gain.
<BR>
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;Harry</FONT></HTML>

--part1_22.32a6ebd3.2b193aed_boundary--