[Diy_efi] Engine ECM combination

Mike Turner/ENGR/HQ/KEMET/US MikeTurner at kemet.com
Thu Oct 10 00:53:35 GMT 2002

I am helping a friend do an engine swap. Vehicle is 1988 2500 series Chevy
van with a very tired carburated 350, automatic transmission, and air
conditioning. The van is mostly used as as tow vehicle for his trailered
autocross Corvette. My friend has a short list of givens and druthers.

Givens:
1) Replacement engine should be stock 4bolt main 350 SB.
2) Exhaust to be dual all the way to rear.
3) Engine management and emissions stuff to be stock parts.
4) O2 sensors working closed loop.
5) No tweaking of fuel/air/accel maps. Burning chips is not a problem.

Druthers:
1) New engine should be stock roller cam with iron heads.
2) Old style TBI (Crossfire) fuel injection used because of torque curve.
He wants high torque in the low to mid range rpm. He already has one of
these intakes. He also has an 88 Camaro TPI intake but prefers the XF.
3) ECM should be pre-OBDII.
4) Get engine, ECM, and transmission as assembly from the junk (recycle)
yard. Yeah. Right.
5) New transmission should probably be a 700R4.
6) Ignition should be the small distributor cap HEI.

Questions:
1) My research leads me to believe only the 880 block is roller 4 bolt main
and the 898 or 906 head is appropriate. Correct?
2) Given the use of crossfire TBI injection and iron heads on a roller
block, does this combination require modifying the intake to match bolt
holes on the heads?
3) Given the use of stock 350 engine and heads, crossfire TBI injection,
and an automatic transmission, any suggestions as to ECM and prom image?
4) Are there any issues such as linkages to using the XF intake with
automatic transmission that might be a problem?
5) The fuel pump issues are being worked on. We are leaning toward pulling
the fuel tank and retrofitting an electric fuel pump and return line. A
fall back plan involves a small forward mounted tank with electric pump
located there. Suggestions or comments?

TIA.