[Diy_efi] Re: Diy_efi digest, Vol 1 #322 - 11 msgs

Bill Washington bill.washington at nec.com.au
Thu Oct 24 15:59:06 GMT 2002

Lee,
    My first thought and probably easiest (note NOT easy but easiest) -
Enclose the entire ignition and injection systems in a metal shield (
perhaps a combination of copper boxes and grounded fine copper mesh with
largest gaps significantly smaller than (at least 1/10) the wavelength
of the highest frequency to be protected against - IE the highest
frequency which contains enough power to do damage) ie a Faraday shield.
This would have to include power leads, sense leads, ECU, control leads
etc. joins and branches would be a challenge - perhaps plumbing copper
'T' and 'Y' fittings could be used and perhaps that spiral flexible
metal sheathing electrically bonded (soldered) to it. The sheathing
would have to enclose also plug leads (including the plugs), and
sensors, bonding to the engine block and head(s).
    I'd be very surprised if the military has not already addressed this
issue, you may be able to get some information from them.
Some universities and other research establishments may have published
some papers which may be available in the public domain. Finally some
Government research from the 50's and 60's may now be available through
the freedom of information acts.
    As I said initially - A challenge! - Good luck
Bill