[Diy_efi] Fuel rail sizing

Dave Dahlgren ddahlgren at snet.net
Fri Sep 6 16:15:54 GMT 2002

I was alluding to the instantaneous flow at the injector opening being different
on the different injectors due to the pressure difference. When you open them
all at once the pressure difference between injectors is not the same as opening
them up one at a time in sequential. If you have a delta in pressure you have to
have a delta in flow. If you only open one injector the delta in pressure is
less than if you open them all at once. You have two different types of demand,
average and instantaneous you have to size the rail for the larger of the two.
The average flow is down with sequential as you would only have at most 5 of the
six injectors firing and the peak would be down as well because you are only
turning on or off one injector at a time. So sorry to say you can run a smaller
fuel rail with sequential injection, it is less demanding on the entire fuel
delivery system.
Dave Dahlgren