[Diy_efi] data acquisition from engine with PC soundcard

Kent Martin kentmartin at froggy.com.au
Fri Sep 13 15:05:52 GMT 2002

I've been using my laptop as a cro of types using a kit from jaycar
called the sound pre amp. This has an op amp and allows you to set the
gain before the Pc so you can see a range of levels. It also has zener diode
to limit the peak voltages to the soundcard to stop blowing the snot out of
it.
Limitations are that you will only get a sample rate of 20 Khz and it is
capacitively
coupled so slow signals will get distorted and it cannot measure DC levels.
I have moded mine to allow dc levels through but this only works if the
sound
card is not capacitively coupled as well.
It should enable you to see injector on times though.

I use the software WINSCOPE.EXE, but there are many others
available. Can't remember where I got it from but if you do a search you
should find
it, or look up silicon chip or electronics Australia magazine and there
should be
references to it.