[Diy_efi] power steering pump relocation

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed Apr 2 01:19:23 GMT 2003

On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 04:13:24PM -0500, Scott F. Williams wrote:
> Folks, I'm converting to an electric power steering pump in my
> vehicle. This pump was originally positioned in the engine bay
> with approximately 3.5 foot long feed and return lines. My intent
> is to mount the pump inside the cabin -probably behind the
> passenger's seat or even in the spare tire well.  My question is
> whether or not the extra length should be a concern. The
> application here is a VW Scirocco. The distance from firewall to
> the seat area is about 4 feet. The spare tire well is an
> additional 4 feet beyond that point, I estimate.

Seriously off-topic. :-)

> Question: Should this extra tubing length pose any issues from a
> pumping efficiency point of view? Forget about calculations here.
> Just let me know your gut feeling about it, please.

If you're putting in tubing, you need to make sure that all of it
flows better than the original lines.

The other concern is one of the steering getting the required
pressure soon enough if the pump is modulated in some way. The
steering input may "get ahead" of the pump's modulation making a
slalom-type exercise an adventure.

> Thanks,
>
> P.S. My primary motivation here is to move the weight as low as
> possible and farther back for best weight distribution.

Then dump the power steering. :-)