[Diy_efi] Re: unequal inlet flows

Alexei Pavlov alexis.pavlov at st.com
Wed Apr 2 13:24:35 GMT 2003

fuelogic at ihug.com.au wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I recall a bit of talk a few weeks back about gas momentum in plenum chambers
> favoring the inlet ports furthest from the throttle. This makes sense to me,
> along with the concept of different runners having different coefficients of
> restriction (sorry..a while since I did fluid mechanics :))
>
> My question is, if u had a correction coefficient for each intake runner, how
> would you weight it? I am assuming something like
>
> runner applied k = k * (airflow/max airflow) ^ some number.
>
> Anyone done any work around this? I figure it could be a very worthwhile

Hi Matt,

You can find answer to your question in the latest Graham Bell's book
about supercharged engines. Flow partitionning depends on the plenum
design and can lead to both rich and poor furthest ports.

Heywood states that a difference of up to +-15% was observed on
some production engines. +-5% is a usual range.

Alexei