[Diy_efi] Propane injection (KISS)

A70Duster at aol.com A70Duster at aol.com
Thu Apr 24 17:05:05 GMT 2003

I have some extra low-impedance injectors that I first applied 120 PSI=20
compressed air to and the injectors operated correctly.

Then I plumbed liquid propane (from a propane tank with the valve on the=20
bottom) to the injector and pulsed it.  Again the injector was working=20
correctly.

The problem was that a mix of liquid and vapor came out of the injector, eve=
n=20
after a minute of pulsing the injector.  My guess is that the liquid propane=
=20
is boiling in the transfer tube.  How does one stop this while keeping thing=
s=20
simple?!?!  Insulate the line can help with heat intrusion and maybe a=20
liquid/vapor separator.

I don't want to add a fuel pump and regulator, I can live with tank pressure=
=20
at the injector, but should find out the pressure that the injector doesn't=20
open at.  And I want to inject liquid propane.  Phase change cools the air=20
drawn in and I can deliver A LOT more liquid propane than vapor propane.

Why do I do this?  With propane at 110 octane and I can get it for $1.30 a=20
gallon, I could run on 87 octane gas for cruise and then kick in some liquid=
=20
propane under heavy loads/WOT conditions.  This would first be applied to a=20
turbo 4 banger, then who knows what is next=85.>:-)