[Diy_efi] crankcase vacuum control

Jack Vines jackv at ambassadorprograms.org
Sun Apr 27 15:04:35 GMT 2003

Greetings, Adam,

The crankcase pumping losses are real when a crankcase has positive
pressure, which can happen, especially on a high-boost, high-rpm turbo
engine.  That is why dry-sump systems have as many as 4-5 scavenge stages
and only one pressure stage. It becomes a vacuum pump and maintains a vacuum
in all parts of the engine.  It helps rings seal as well, by increasing the
pressure differential between top and bottom sides.

thnx, jv.