[Diy_efi] Re:Wire up of BMW M3 coils...? (Gerard)

Gerard gerard at poboxes.com
Sat Feb 15 21:51:46 GMT 2003

> Hello,
>
> BMW coil connection :
>
>    * pin 1 is signal from ECU/amplifier ("1")
>    * pin 2 is GND ("4A")
>    * pin 3 is +12 Volt ("15")

Thanks. :) I am actually looking at a set of M3 coils as an option on my
5-cylinder engined project. The reason I am looking is that the coils I
have right now don't have a history so I have no idea how to wire them
up. I actually posted to this list regarding those coils a few months
ago. They're also 3 pin connectors. I cut one of them up recently to see
how they wire up. Had to burn off some sealeant (looked like phenolic)
so didn't gain much knowledge. If I don't figure these out I might have
to go for the M3 stuff.

Now, to throw some more questions out there....

First, I would think that pin 1 is a ground signal for charging the
primary. Does anything know if this is correct?

For the technical bit; anyone know how these 3 pins (signal, GND amd
+ve) are actually wired up together inside the coil?

Am I correct in thinking that pins 2 and 3 are for the secondary coil
and pins 1 and 2 for the primary (+ve feed and a ground control (no
Major Tom nonsense now))?

If I did a continuity and resistance test between the 3 pins and also
the plug top connecting point, what should I expect to find?

Sorry, what you are dealing with here is commonly known as an
auto-electrical pleb. :) Some say "clueless" actually. :D

Thanks. :)

G.