[Diy_efi] need schematic critique

Dave Harvey hernt at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 17 04:19:02 GMT 2003

J,
To expand on Mark's comments, I suggest that you connect the output of
the LM339 to the base of an NPN transistor and drive the relay with the
transistor. Connect a 2.2K resistor from the LM339 output to +8V.
Connect the transistor emitter to ground. Connect the relay between the
collector and +12V (use a 12V relay). A 2N2222A can handle up to 50mA
for the relay coil. The LM339 output will now only swing 0.6V, so reduce
R3 to 10K or so. With this configuration, the relay is energized when #1
 > #2. If you want the opposite polarity, then swap the 2 pots and
adjust the feedback resistor (R3) value to get the desired hysteresis.
You might want to bypass Pin 4  to ground with 0.1uF to filter any noise
pickup. Is the 47K pot located near the LM339? Also the flyback diode
should connect across the relay coil. When a relay (or any inductor) is
denergized, the voltage across the winding reverses.

V = L * di/dt

Feel free to contact me off-list if you like.

-- Dave