[Diy_efi] A 2N2222A can handle up to 50mA

bcroe at juno.com bcroe at juno.com
Wed Feb 19 00:33:33 GMT 2003

A few more comments here:
   While I pay 80 cents for FETs in 100s, I don't think a
couple quarters are the issue here.  I am going to
assume the relay coil may be on the plus or minus side
of the coil driver to allow the most common parts.

As mentioned, bipolar and darlingtons are what we had
to use before FETs came along.  My 80 cent FET will get
me a huge improvement in current gain (infinite), voltage
rating (I NEVER go below 100V in auto circuits), and
saturation voltage.  The low sat also fixes heat problems,
and sometimes the FET can just replace the RELAY
outright.  The IRFI530N has an insulated tab that may
be bolted directly to any heat sink, 0.15 V drop at 1 A
(thats .15W), 100V rating (use 630 for 200V), and no
drive current req.

Assuming we have the 339 driving an N channel FET
with a 47K pullup to the 339 supply, let's address another
problem.  The 7808 V reg is wide open to transients coming
from the battery (the starter can generate 300V for
microseconds, just long enough to take out V regulators).
We only need 2 ma for the 339, and maybe another 1or 2
for 47K pullup and input circuit.  So replace the $1   7808
with a $0.02  390 resistor from the battery to a $0.11  10V
zener diode to ground.

The zener will clip any spikes that come along, even
reverse polarity.  The 390 will limit current for those brief
overvoltages to prevent any damage.

You can get a max of 10 ma off the zener, all you need
with the drive requirement solved.  You will need
some kind of clipper to protect the FET output; perhaps
a couple more 10V zeners source to drain, plus a
1N4004 diode across the coil ought to do it.

Bruce Roe