[Diy_efi] sorta ot: low dollar bottom end build

Erik Jacobs emj14 at columbia.edu
Wed Feb 19 19:52:17 GMT 2003

There's been lots of talk about coatings on this list just recently, so
here's a simple premise:

You've got $1200 or so to rebuild a VG30ET (Nissan V6 single overhead cam
single turbo 3.0L single turbo motor)... Not blowing the whole budget but
doing nice things like coatings here and there, what would you suggest?  I'm
thinking:

New rings, new bearings (rod, crank), coated pistons, coated combustion
chambers and valves, new valveseals, and any needed machinework.  The
question is do I need more coatings than just pistons chambers and valves,
or should I keep it small like that (keeping shipping costs low) and buy a
few nice parts and maybe more machine work?

The stock engine is rated at 205hp (crank) with the T3/T4 that's on there
(i'm checking up on the A/R), we're looking for 300whp or so on pump gas.  I
think it's totally doable with the stock turbo, just need a good FMIC and
good fueling (probably Apex'i AFC, it's cheap and effective)... the motor
itself is good for pretty much tons of boost (stock bottom end should handle
20psi easy assuming you keep it from detonating).

Will the $1200 go way far on this rebuild, or are coatings very expensive?
I haven't had a chance to go research it yet but I was thinkign swain stuff.

-Erik
lurker