[Diy_efi] traction control & nitrous (devlish combo?)

Scott F. Williams sfwilliams at comcast.net
Thu Feb 27 00:17:59 GMT 2003

Bill Washington wrote:
> I think, as has been suggested by others, the risk would be too
> great to contemplate trying your original proposal

Yes, at this point I realize that this would be a foolhardy exercise. To be
clear, though, I had no great desire to cut back the nitrous oxide
application with the TC. Rather, my primary question was whether or not it
would be safe to do with a wet system. I completely overlooked the obvious
point that the fuel/nitrous ratio would be appropriate but that the air
entering through the open throtte plates would still produce a radically
lean condition.

> 1. With the main fuel (injector) turned off roughly how much nitrous
> would be in the cylinder?

I'm not quite sure how to answer that question, but it would be enough
nitrous and fuel to produce about 25hp if the system were at full on.

> 2. I ask the question because depending on the nitrous/air ratio
> it may be damaging (lean), very dangerous (explosive mix), or safe
> (too lean to support sustained combustion).

That's an interesting point, Bill. As I understand it, the Racelogic system
may or may not cut all the fuel at each injector when it interrupts the
pulse. However, it will remove *at least* enough to produce a mixture that
is too lean to combust. I'd look to you engineers to let me know if my
original setup idea would produce a mixture so lean as to be "safe". The
consensus seems to be that it would definitely be dangerous or probable
enough to make it not worth attempting. I'm going with that conservative
position.

> 3. the suggestion of cutting off the nitrous with or before cutting
> injector(s) may still leave sufficient nitrous in the manifold to cause
> the same potential problems.

The nitrous (and fuel) solenoids can not be pulsed nearly as quickly as a
fuel  injector. So, I don't see any way to incorporate nitrous control into
my program. My resolution is to simply use the traction control system
during a nitrous-free launch. I suppose I'll rig a circuit to disable the
nitrous whenever the nitrous circuit is "live" (every gear except first
which is locked out via a microswitch).

Thanks *very* much,
--
Scott F. Williams