[Diy_efi] traction control & nitrous (devlish combo?)

Erik Jacobs emj14 at columbia.edu
Fri Feb 28 15:41:52 GMT 2003

> hydraulic gearbox

hydraulic gearbox = $60k us
electronically controlled differentials = probably $20k us easy
> upgraded suspension,

WRC suspension = $10k most likely, probably closer to 30 or 40 with all the
development and testing time that goes into picking parts

> a rollbar and a gutted interior.

the mantime alone on gutting an interior and putting in the extensive
rollbar that a WRC car has is probably $10k, and that's a conservative
estimate.  Don't forget they do a lot of
welding/riveting/dipping/painting/etc on those chassis before they ever get
parts installed on them.

You've also neglected the engine management and sensors and rally
computer -- that has gotta be close to 50k worth of stuff, as the crazy tag
heuer engine management that i've seen some f1 teams use easily goes over
20k for basics.

So from what I've calculated, your $26k us WRX has now had

60 + 20 + 10 + 10 + 50 = $150k worth of stuff added, and that's still not
including wheels, tires, other safety equipment, radios, and labor.

WRC cars cost $500,000 to build, it's that simple.

Can we get back to talking about EFI now?