[Diy_efi] Water metanol turbo assist (Greg H)

Derek derek_obanion at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 9 20:04:19 GMT 2003

> >But generally, 12.5:1 is referred to as being the maximum power WOT gasoline
> >AFR. Just wondering why you would want it leaner than that? Is max power
> >at 14:1
> >or so, given excellent in-cylinder cooling (meth, water, or any mix)?
>
> Yes, max power IS at 14:1 (petrol) or so given adequate in-cylinder coolng
> from another source, such as water or a water/meth mix.
> >
> >Not arguing, just trying to figure out if running it leaner than .85 lambda
on
> >my car (lots of methanol, 0F inlet temps) would be of any benefit.
>
> I think it would.

Greg,

I ran it to stoich at 1BAR of boost with a ton of methanol, and it never even
blipped the knock sensor. So the cooling is doing it's job in terms
pre-combustion cooling.

Got another question for you. Can't believe it didn't occur to me before. What
about EGTs? Won't they be sky high and likely melt something? I'm afraid of a
knock free meltdown. I never got a EGT, once I got a wideband I figured I
wouldn't need it.