[Diy_efi] Importance of TPS with lightweight cars

Ne14RoxCJ at aol.com Ne14RoxCJ at aol.com
Tue Jan 14 13:49:39 GMT 2003

In a message dated 1/14/03 1:07:15 AM Central Standard Time,
shannen at grolen.com writes:

But you're talking closed loop operation, anyway.  Why do you need to
run closed loop?

I suppose this is where my confusion lies. I thought that whenever the O2
sensor heats up and the ECM goes closed loop, it stays there. I know that the
ECM does not correct fuel when in park/neut and when engine speed is above a
set RPM. Other than those 2 exclusions, I thought the ECM adjusted the fuel
for stoich (14.7:1). Are there other times also? Is this something I should
change? Also, Is it safe to assume that the ECM is correcting the fuel flow
any-time the CL flag is set (light on scantool)?? Should I not be running in
closed loop? Sorry for all the questions, but this is really throwing off my
understanding of closed loop operation. Im going to go read these papers a
few more times. Thanks for your help.

Beau