[Diy_efi] RE: Throttling intake air -- references

Grant Beaty gbeaty at ufl.edu
Wed Jan 15 19:05:43 GMT 2003

Great idea and all, but unless you work for a OEM making an ECU for a turbo
car, why bother? External wastegates control boost just fine, my car can run
from 8 psi to over 35.

However the extremely small throttle opening required to hold low boost must
produce a lot of pressure in the IC pipes. When I first put my turbo kit
together I didn't have a dump tube for the WG so I left the boost controller
off and tried simulating WOT conditions by modulating the throttle, and I
noticed I barely had to give it any gas at all; it was actually kind of
difficult. Autocrossing a car that spins through first and second requires
quite a bit of throttle modulation, so I'm used to it.

My WG is currently set to open at 17-18 psi. My boost gauge is plumed into
the intake manifold, and if I modulate throttle, it opens at around 7 psi,
so thats a 10 psi drop across the throttle plate. On some turbos, that surge
teritory, and it does surge a bit on mine. If I had electronicly controlled
everything, I'd modulate the WG more than the throttle to keep it off surge.

Even if there are benifits, just doesn't seem worth the effort.

Grant Beaty